R4 Alliance was founded with a specific strategic focus to improve the quality of nonprofit services for Our Military Family.
During 2012 and 2013, three workshops were hosted with eight of the top national nonprofit organizations providing therapeutic and community recreation services to Our Military Family. Working with these organizations were representatives from the Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Secretary of the Army, the Veterans Administration, and Our Military Family.
In November of 2013, the R4 Alliance was formed to overcome barriers in our industry identified by our founding members. R4 defined its objectives, and laid the foundation for the strategic next steps. In February 2014, R4 Alliance gained formal 501(c)(3) status from the IRS. R4 has grown exponentially from eight founding organizations in March 2014, to over 56 member organizations nationwide as of June 2015. R4 Alliance members have collectively served over 155,000 members of Our Military Family, and the number continues to grow with the continued success of the program.
R4 Mission: R4 Alliance maximizes potential for Our Military Family through member driven Standards of Excellence, Research, Education/Training, Economic Viability and development of a Continuum of Care improving Recreation and Rehabilitation to achieve Reintegration.
R4 Vision: Maximize the Potential of Our Military Family
- Create and utilize collaborative Research and evaluation tools providing a substantial evidence base to: advocate recreation as a crucial component to health and wellness, disseminate findings through the medical community, and provide protocol for individualized client treatment plans
- Serve as a nationally recognized alliance of service providers promoting Standards of Excellence developed and driven by our membership organizations to ensure effective recreation services to Our Military Family
- Provide information sharing systems facilitating communication between service providers necessary for a collaborative Continuum of Care to ensure the highest quality of service provision
- Establish Education and Training guidelines to facilitate the distribution of our collective experience and knowledge
- Enhance funding and Economic Viability through creative private sector fundraising initiatives and securing private and public grants