By Kalen Arreola
Social Media Manger, R4 Alliance
Every year, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, social media feeds fill with messages of giving. If you follow the #GivingTuesday campaign each year, you may have thought of participating.
Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Since its inaugural year in 2012, #GivingTuesday has become a movement that celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy with events throughout the year and a growing catalog of resources.
Good news — It’s not too late!
Here are three quick things you can do to prepare for a successful campaign if you are short on time:
- Create three email blasts: Create an email to announce you are participating the day before, but do not include it with your regular newsletter — make it stand out! Halfway through the day during the campaign, send another email announcing your fundraising progress. The next morning send a third email thanking everyone for their support.
- Landing Page: Create a #GivingTuesday landing page on your website to share the goal of your campaign and give people an easy way to donate. Using a unique shortlink using the landing page URL, so you can track clickthroughs, then match it up to your donation report for that day. Free services like bit.ly will create a trackable short link in a few seconds.
- Preschedule your posts: Create seven to 10 posts that automatically populate throughout the day every couple of hours, but make them meaningful. Talk about your mission, how you’ve impacted the community and highlight key partnerships. Monitor and engage where necessary on your posts. Using impactful photographs with each post and tagging others will help boost reach.
To make preparation simple, the creators of #GivingTuesday have created a toolkit to provide you with all the resources you need to get started, including:
• #GivingTuesday mega messages
• Ideas for getting involved
• Social media tips
• Campaign timeline
• Press release template
• Ideas and examples
• Mayoral proclamation toolkit
• #GivingTuesday team contact information
Click here to get started: Download Complete Toolkit